Last night's Frederick County, Maryland, Board of Appeals hearing turned out to be even eerier than PATH had imagined!  When the Board finally yelled, "Boo", PATH jumped, screamed and may have even wet their pants a little...

At issue here was PATH's request for reconsideration on the Board's previous decision to deny a Special Exception for the gigantic substation in Mt. Airy, PATH's proposed terminus.

A request for reconsideration is just that -- a request, and in what ended up being record time, the Board denied PATH's request and refused to reconsider their previous decision.

Chairperson Westdorp began by asking the Board if they wanted to hear from the applicant.  *crickets*  Just before this, she had done the group swear-in, where anyone present who was prepared to give testimony is required to stand up and take the oath.  The 100 or so citizens present all stood up, letting the Board know that if the applicants intended to put on more testimony, subject to cross examination, that they would be cross examined... ad nauseam.  Did PATH's blood curdle at that moment?

Westdorp tried for a creepy amount of time to get someone to make a supernatural motion to grant or deny the applicant's sinister request.  It was spine-chilling!  The unnatural sound of silence was uncanny!  When it became freakishly obvious that no one was going to help her out, Westdorp herself made the scary motion to deny the applicant's frightening request.  Board member Sepe seconded the motion, in spooky, otherworldly fashion.  A hair-raising vote was taken and the applicant's request was denied a terrifying 3-0.

The crowd once again loudly displayed their approval.  PATH representatives looked a bit red in the face.  I guess it was just too frightening for them to come face-to-face with eerie democracy.

PATH's next step is to continue to pursue this through the courts.  That's probably guaranteed to be even spookier!

Comments

Pam
12/21/2010 8:18am

If you ever stop writing this stuff, I'm going to be bored to tears. You make my day.

Keryn
12/21/2010 8:40am

Funny... that's not what my English teachers usually said when I attempted to use all of the vocabulary words in the same sentence ;-)

It was a great "feel good" moment which absolutely required celebration.

problematic view, etc.
12/21/2010 9:25am

Ah yes, the silence was absolutely golden!!!! Sweet- just as my after-meeting celebratory dessert at a local restaurant was!
Hey, notice that the PATH entourage sitting at their usual post positions was pretty small this time- at least it was more than showed up for the Planning Commission hearing though, ha ha. Me thinks the boys are not finding their jobs so fun these days?

Da hillbilly
12/21/2010 9:38am

A friend explained it to me best last night. This is why we continue to win these battles at every step of their bizzare game. To them, this is just a job, to us it's our lives! I guess I always new this, however, it makes so much sense. we aren't fighting to protect our back yards, our gardens, our house ... We our fighting to protect OURSELVES and everything we stand for. They get paid their exhorbitant saleries no matter what the project at hand is, we get paid nothing and win because we believe in what we're doing is just the right thing to do! So to PATH I say, take a hike, you will never win anything so wrong. the only true win will be in the end and right prevails over might ... you clowns see it every day. Fourth request for tolling? C'mon, if you had your act together and were doing the right thing, you would be as ready to do battle as we are.

Pam
12/21/2010 11:43am

Has anyone given any thought as to what the merger will do to this project? I read that the PSC approved it, that Allegheny Power will be no more, this is supposed to happen early next year.

JustMe
12/21/2010 1:40pm

Pam, Forgot where I found it (I think state case), but as to the substation site, I don't believe anything of "the same or similar use" can be applied for on the site - regardless of who wants to build it. The County says no re-application for a year. Perhaps some land use gurus can correct this but I think the rights and limitations connected with the property run with the land. But maybe if we all focus really hard and meditate on a "Higher Power" a more permanent solution might be in 'Order'. Something that would tell the grubby worms, "Not no way, not no how, not no time... will you ever do this to these people again." Eerier things have happened. :)

JustMe
12/21/2010 7:31pm

OK, have to vent b-4 I go to sleep... AGAIN! (Thank you Keryn once again for the forum). HillBill (I think its "hill"arious how you evoke a certain ex-presidential-couple) Anyway, back on the subject. The fact that this is "just a job" to PATH's hired professionals is simply mind boggling to me. That they are comfortable with standing up in front of public decision makers and JUDGES and CITIZENS and just straight out L-I-E...cuts so deeply into the cellular level of my guts -- its like a disease infested knife in the stomach to the history of this Nation. How can someone take the ethical oaths involved with being an officer of the Court and do what they do? How can any of them with children and grandchildren, knowing that all this electronic engagement will be available when their progeny want to learn about their forebearers... how CAN they???? I am savvy enough to know that they really are a step(or two...or three)behind what we are doing in spite of their pathetic self-deluding overpayment of e-guys, (and BTW...they cannot catch up) but it really saddens me that WE have been lazy enough over the last 30 years to give them the power to manipulate our future in spite of their moral and intellectual pathologies. It saddens me even more that, although they deserve every failure knocking at their door (hopefully via shareholders and investors that finally do due diligence)... they have no qualms about bringing this country down with them.

Keryn
12/21/2010 9:13pm

Point taken, JM. Some people lie in the course of business because they are ordered to and they need that paycheck to keep things comfortable on the home front. Others lie in the course of business because they are simply arrogant bastards who think they are smarter than the people they are trying to screw over. Still others lie because they have become so twisted and jaded by the status quo of their day-to-day existence that they no longer believe they are lying, but think they are telling the truth from their skewed perspective. Which one is most deluded?

Frankly, I never could do that, although I spent quite a few years in a position where the status quo was to lie to people. It was one of the most famous and best known of all lies, which no one ever believes. I found that if you tell people the truth, they appreciate and can deal with it and will work with you toward an agreeable outcome.

And then I got out of that line of work because I just couldn't stand it anymore! The day I walked into the office and my phone told me, "You have 19 new voice mails", I knew it was time to go.

12/22/2010 9:31am

Pam,
I did a post a month or so ago about some scuttlebutt that a Morningstar investment blogger picked up from Allegheny executives at a power company convention. These executives told the blogger that FirstEnergy is not interested at all in Allegheny's transmission projects. FE only wants Allegheny's generation business. What that means for PATH, if true, is anyone's guess. My first thought is that FE would sell Allegheny's chare in PATH to AEP. AEP could probably snap it up cheap for their Transco monopoly game. Here's the link to my post which has a link to the Morningstar report. http://calhounpowerline.com/2010/11/23/morningstar-claims-first-energy-may-spin-off-allegheny-transmission-business/

Keryn
12/22/2010 5:12pm

Time for some middle-aged dorks to start polishing up the ol' resume, I'm a thinkin'...