Here's a copy of a letter PATH has been sending out to landowners they have been harassing to sign easements and options for the past 2 years.  Not only are they not telling landowners the whole story of their "suspension", but they're using weasel words, just in case they "accidentally" do something they claim they won't do.  The letter tells landowners that they have "suspended nearly all activities on the project including efforts to acquire easements, survey work and other field activities involving the proposed route."  So, if you take them at their word, they're not going to be bothering you anymore.  But the weasels just can't resist throwing in the word, "nearly."  We know that their land agents are still in our communities, more than a month after their "suspension."  Why?  I've heard lots of reasons why from various people.  I guess those activities are covered by "nearly."

Meanwhile, back at the PATH ranch, the "Status Update" sent to FERC states that, "some non-development activities and non-capital cost expenditures will necessarily continue..."

It seems that quite a few of PATH's Option Agreements are due to be renewed (at PATH's discretion, of course, remember PATH wrote these Options and coerced landowners into signing them without the benefit of legal advice).  Renewal of an option requires another payment to the landowner.  The option payments to landowners are a capital expense.

Is PATH lying to the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission, or are they going to let the options expire?  Or, the most likely explanation -- Will PATH continue to be an uncoordinated, mismanaged mess where they say one thing and do another and when they're caught, they say, "ooops!"?

Comments

Pants on Fire
04/07/2011 7:01pm

Not
Ever
Arethey
Reallygoingto
Leave
Youalone

PowerMAD
04/07/2011 8:22pm

They do seem to be incapable of learning, don't they? Maybe that's one of the unforeseen consequences of corporations being considered "people." There actually is no single brain, so no real ability to modify their conduct or behave in new ways.

Da Hillbilly
04/08/2011 2:23am

Business as usual? I doubt these morons will ever get it. They continually remind me of the disfunctional Jerry Springeresque family. They will continue this sherade (scam) of the ratepayers until the feds. catch up and then they will say "oops, we didn't know that was wrong." I wonder how many of the PATHies are hoping for a shutdown today. The longer the Government shuts down, the longer the game can go on. We all pay our dues one day, I just believe in paying mine forward rather than at the end.

04/08/2011 3:50am

This should serve as a clear warning to any land owners in the future. As soon as you sign any of their papers, you become a slave to the whims of these corporations. Yeah, you got your money, but now they can jerk you around for years.

Is it really worth it?

Da Hillbilly
04/08/2011 4:26am

precisely bh. They got their money, however, it's now tax time ....I would hate to be in the shoes of someone who signed an option, still owns a worthless piece of property, has to pay taxes on that property and also has to pay the taxes on the money they got. And this "jerking around" could go on forever. It's time to take America away from the corporations and keep it in the citizens hands as it's supposed to be.

Keryn
04/08/2011 1:07pm

Even worse, one landowner passed away after signing and left a worthless piece of property for his next-of-kin, which the next-of-kin get to pay taxes, insurance and maintenance on but can't sell for the next three years. And the next-of-kin didn't get any money from PATH. Just the albatross necklace.

The real shame is that PATH land agents knew this person had a terminal illness, but still encouraged him to "clear up his affairs" by signing their purchase option. He just left a mess for someone else (who found the PATH papers after the owner died and the first thing the next-of-kin said was, "He should never have signed this without consulting a lawyer.")

Yeah, PATH's land agents are a rare bunch... of human jackals.

Bastards.

Sometimes I want to stick my fingers in my ears and start saying, "La La La La" when I hear one of these stories beginning... it's all so sad.

Da Hillbilly
04/08/2011 1:41pm

Thank goodness you DON"T stick them fingers in your ears and keep exposing the truth for all to read.BASTARDS indeed! This kind of behavior is absolutely criminal and justice will one day be served. Their game is rapidly falling apart, yet they continue to play. The irony of their arrogance would be purely ammusing if they wern't continually screwing me and all the other ratepayers along the way. That being said, the arrogance only pisses me off MORE!

Pam
04/13/2011 3:58pm

We finally received our copy of this letter today. It was dated March 30. Don't know where it's been for the past two weeks as the address is correct.

Keryn
04/14/2011 4:22pm

I told you... you're on PATH's "naughty" list because their demographics and statistics they paid so much for told them that you'd be falling all over yourself to sell to them. And you were the holdout. Congratulations, Pam! :-)

Pam
04/14/2011 5:08pm

For us, the thrill of victory, for PATH, the agony of defeat. I'm not the most educated person, never went to college, but I sure ended up smarter than my neighbors. And one of these days, when I'm in a good mood, and can maybe handle another fight, I may ask my neighbor who lives right beside me if he's heard anything from PATH regarding the option he signed in January. We usually get into a pissing contest over PATH so I try to avoid the conversation but my curiosity is aroused. I really want to shout at him, I told you so, but won't do that as I'm sure he already knows.