1. Maryland and Virginia still have not acted on PATH's motion to toll. Anything can happen. If anything less than having their wishes granted in both states occurs, this will have an effect on the process in the other two states. If this happens, PATH may have to return to Start.
2. Their project has no end point. Frederick County has turned down their applications for approval of their gigantic substation. Next step is for PATH to fight this through the courts. That could take a long, long time. Miss at least two turns.
3. The EIS process. Because PATH crosses federal land, an Environmental Impact Statement must be prepared and approvals granted to PATH to cross this federal land. This process takes years. The original target date for this process to conclude was fall of 2012. However, the process is currently stalled with the Park Service having to replace the contractor helping with the process. Add months to the approval process. Miss three turns.
4. PATH's 14.3% ROE is being questioned at FERC. A re-hearing is currently in process and a new ROE will be set for the project. It won't be 14.3%. And they're probably going to have to refund part of the profit they have already collected since the initial approval was only conditional. Pay a penalty.
5. PATH's public image is in the trashcan. There's nothing they can do about it either! The opposition's PR machine is much more ROBUST than PATH's because it relies on FACTS and the TRUTH. Once a person knows the truth, there's nothing PATH can do to change their mind. Everyone hates you, PATH! Lose 10 turns.
6. PATH has become politically unpopular. Because of the huge public opposition to this project, politicians are no longer in favor of it. They want votes, not bribes from PATH. Go back 50 spaces.
The original WV-PSC decision date in West Virginia was to have been June 21, 2010. If not for all the citizen opposition, PATH would have quietly been approved and would be under construction right now. This is the reason we fight and will continue to do so. PATH's opposition continues to grow every day, while its supporters dwindle.
Have I forgotten anything? If I've omitted something that belongs on this list, let me know.
PATH can't win this game.